I have to admit, I was completely skeptical that I could make an effective DIY Natural deodorant…that ACTUALLY WORKED. But then my 14 year old daughter brought up the studies she read in health class this year regarding the use of traditional antiperspirant deodorants and the link to breast cancer – and her own ban on using them any longer. She’s switched to using a natural store bought brand, and like my own experience with trying a dozen over the years – it’s NOT working effectively. Quite honestly – it’s not working at all. My sweet teen is a little on the smelly side the last few weeks. She says she’s fine with it if it can help her avoid such a potentially serious health risk. As her mama, even though the jury’s still out on the studies, I support her in her better-be-safe-than-sorry approach. I’m now on a renewed quest to find or make a naturally derived deodorant that works – for her & me. Can I tell you – I’m so happy that I did!
With my continuing education on the use of incorporating essential oils into our daily lives, I decided to start researching there first. With a little Pinterest-ing & Googling, I came up with a recipe that is still working on day three of its use (that included runs & kayaking!). I think I may just be able to say the end result deodorant is better than what I’ve been using from the store. So I feel it’s my duty to share with you right here & now…
Now get ready for this – you only need 4 ingredients (that were actually already in my cabinet even!!) and roughly 8 minutes, which I’m pretty sure is worth the time to see if it will work for you too? Just empty out your existing deodorant container, or save the next empty one – and you’re ready to mix this right up.
DIY Lavender Natural Deodorant
¼ cup baking soda
¼ cup cornstarch
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
6 drops Lavender essential oil
12 drops (doTERRA) OnGuard or Purify essential oil blend
1 empty deodorant container (you can also purchase one here)
* Recommended alternate essential oils: Lemon, Wild Orange, Citrus Bliss, Melaleuca, Lime, Geranium, Thyme…
1. Combine baking soda, cornstarch, and essential oils into a glass bowl.
2. Combine coconut oil with other ingredients one tablespoon at a time until mixture is at the desired consistency.
3. Press firmly into an empty deodorant container and let sit until the coconut oil solidifies.
4. You’re done! Simply apply as needed.
* Please note, I have read that some people are sensitive to baking soda and may develop an underarm rash. If you do find yourself sensitive, discontinue use immediately.